Monday, March 1, 2010

And Finally

So, we got baby chicks again, we will see if they will be hardier this year and if we have any better luck with hens vs roosters -- Jacob Burnham agreed to take all of our roosters, if we have any -- (he picked them for us at the feed store :)) -- and we have the dog on a vacation for the protection of the hens. . .so we will see how it goes. We got six two of each kind.

 

My boys each staked a claim on a variety and they have been enjoying them. We got them about a week ago now.

The chicks were doing well, all of the obstacles were removed, so I think from the demise of the chicks, or so I thought. . .
On Friday, I was hoping to get Spencer to leave the library without too much fuss, and ask if he had checked the chicks today. . .Nope, not yet, well we need to hurry home and make sure they have water. . .ok, we get home, and I am busy working inside. Spence runs out to check the chicks, I don't think anything of it. . .well, the next thing I know, Spencer is carrying a wet chick that can't stand up on its own into the house and says "mom there is something wrong with this chick" -- your right Spence, what happened -- oh, I gave it a bath -- you what? It was dirty -- so, we go in and start trying to warm up this chick, and I ask if there are any other bathers that I need to know about, yep, two other ones -- we dry them off, two are fine and we put them back outside -- the other, well, let's just say, it needs a vet -- we pack the chick in a container, bring the bright pink hair dryer and go and visit our favorite vet -- Jake drys the chick some more and says it should be fine -- put it under the light in its own little box -- by the time the boys get home, it is all right, it is in a place free of five year old bath providers, -- it is now resting in our backyard in a small marked grave, known only to two little boys -- does anyone want to adopt a five year old, he gives "great baths to week old chicks!"
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

The Mann Clann said...

You're story had me rolling! That is priceless. Well, except for the cost of that particular chick. Sorry for your loss, but it sure makes a great story!

Nicole said...

Oh dear Spencer! He was trying so hard to take care of his new chicks. Oh well, live and learn! He probably won't be giving them many baths in the future!

Emily said...

Aww, that is so sad. He was taking such good care of it, just wanted to make it clean. Poor little guy (Spencer) and poor little chick!

Sara said...

Too funny! I remember trying to cook my gold fish on my dish plates with the heat of the sun, at his age--trying to cook fish like my mom. Not that you bathe chicks on a regular basis, but he is bathing the chicks like you bathe him when he gets dirty. So cute! Good thing you have a live in vet!