Saturday, November 19, 2011

Montserrat

On Wednesday, my dad and I took the train an hour out of town to a famous basilica, Montserrat. Apparently, it is a monastary, that was started in 880 when some children heard some angels and music. They told their parents and they also witnessed it, they found a likeness of the virgin Mary. Later they built a monastary near the location, and have the only black Virgin Mary housed their. Apparently, she will bring you luck if you touch her, and maybe something else, can't remember. I looked and took a picture -- maybe I should have touched her for luck :).

The view was spectacular, it was a bit foggy, but I couldn't imagine hauling the necessary tools UP the mountain to build the monastary!! They did have a cogstooth railroad and fundicular to take things up and down now, probably the cogstooth railroad has been there for a while. . .but in the medevial times. . .wow! Truly amazing!

 

 

 

 

 
Posted by Picasa

0 comments: