Monday, December 29, 2008

Back to China

Ok, so I need to finish my trip to China so I can document and remember some of the things I was able to do and see. On Friday, I went and saw the Olympic venue. More specifically the birds nest and water cube! It was FREEZING!! I ended up buying a ski cap because I was SOOO COLD!! There were people when we came up from the metro flying kites, and not just one kite, but like twenty little kites, against the gray sky, it was amazing! I can't imagine trying to keep the kites in the air, and try to sell these kites to the tourist that are acosted once you come up out of the subway. I got to drive past thses two venues at night, several times and they were BEAUTIFUL all lit up, I am bummed as I never did take a picture and forgot to get a copy of one from my dad.

 

 

I also made it to the Forbidden Palace. This was the main structure in Beijing for the Emperor's. In fact it is the center of Beijing, everything moved out from this center of the city. It is amazing, how huge and grandiose it is. My mom has gone several times and seen several different buildings, and there still is more to see! It was interesting learning about how the Emperor's chose their wives and concubines, a bit different than Mulan presents. am trying to remember right now, bt the girls were selected at a very young age and it was a great honor to be considered and they all lived in the palace and those not chosen as a wife, were automatically concubines! Such a sad way to live. The gardens, were absolutely beautiful in the area and you can only imagine the enjoyment the people that lived here had. There still is original furniture in the palace and it is gorgeous. Some of the containers that were gold plated were scraped off by the western invaders and those still remain and show the wear from the scraping.
 

 
Posted by Picasa

1 comments:

Mike and Maradel said...

Make that your mom has gone twice now. She really does stuff in China besides sight see! But it is one of the perks. We love you!