Sunday, December 7, 2008

The Temple of Heaven

After 24 hours of flying and waiting, I made it to Beijing! What a beautiful city, but for this Arizona girl, what a COLD city! The weather turned really chilly on Thursday, the day I flew in, so I was FREEZING and I don't think there are enough layers to keep me as warm as I would have liked, but I made it. . . The first day, because it was so cold, we went to the Temple of Heaven which if you watched the Olympics this was the site they chose to kind of be the spotlight for Beijing. It was pretty incredible, but I was COLD, so we didn't spend as long as I would have if it had been about twenty or thirty or forty degrees warmer (it was about 26 degrees with a frigid wind) -- but it is an amazing structure. While we were out, we had to go to the tailor's to pick up a pair of pants they were making for my mom, and I couldn't believe the fabric that you could choose from at this shop, in any fabric store I have ever been in, there has never been more fabric than at this little store and about ten tailors just waiting for you to have them sew for you -- amazing!

 

 

 

 

The detail on the ceiling at the temple is AMAZING, I just can't imagine having to pain the ceiling and taking such care! I also got a taste for the pearl market, but couldn't function well enough to stay awake and do any serious shopping, I will return before the week is over -- GUARANTEED!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Sara said...

How lucky you are! It looks like you will get to see some amazing sites! Who is watching your kids while you are gone?

Nicole said...

Can't wait to hear about the pearl market, sounds amazing! That fabric store looks so cool too!! So much to do and see, so little time. Your going to have to take and extra week off to catch up on your sleep.